UCANN Citizenship Program

a VOICE for working America

In the face of inaction on comprehensive immigration reform by Congress, the UFCW launched the Union Citizenship Action Network (UCAN) program to be a resource for members looking to apply for United States citizenship. The UFCW is no longer waiting for our legislatives to do their job and neither is Local 888. The UCAN program helps provide the proper documents, legal counsel, and other assistance necessary to get the process started. The program also positions the UFCW to be able to help many more workers once comprehensive immigration reform becomes law.

It is no secret that immigrant workers are by far the most likely group to face gross exploitation on the job and have their labor rights violated. However, Local 888 will not allow its members to be lumped into that category. Local 888 is proudly one of the most diverse locals in our international union, with a great majority of immigrant members. Local 888 Representatives were trained by seasoned immigrants’ rights advocates on the critical skills and tools needed to help members go through the naturalization process and become U.S. citizens. Since then, Local 888 has adapted the UCAN program as a regular benefit to Local 888. In adapting this program, we will be able to help members determine whether they qualify for citizenship, assist them in gathering the necessary documentation needed, pre-screen their applications, and answer important legal questions. 

Should you want to attend the next workshop and get on the path to becoming a U.S. citizen below are the documents needed when you fill out your application:

  • Permanent resident care (green card)
  • Driver’s license or any other Photo ID
  • Social Security Card
  • Two passport size photos
  • List of home addressed for the past 5 years and the dates in which you lived at that address
  • List of employer names and addresses for the past 5 years, and the dates you worked for that employer
  • Dates you have been outside of the U.S. for the past 5 years, and the countries you traveled to. (bring your passport, itineraries, tickets etc. for all trips made outside of U.S.
  • Complete names, date of birth, addresses and A#’s (green cards) for ALL your children
  • Your most recent tax return
  • If married: (and/or applying for citizenship based on marriage)
    • marriage certificate
    • evidence that your spouse has been a resident for at least 3 years such as: birth certificate, passport, or certification of naturalization
    • documents referring to you and your spouse: bank statements, leases, mortgages, IRS tax returns for the last 3 years
    • if Spouse was previously married you must bring their ex-spouse’s information; such as:
      • name
      • date of birth
      • current address
      • divorce decreed
  • If divorced:
    • divorce decreed
    • date of birth of ex-spouse
    • current statues of ex-spouse (citizen, resident, etc)
    • current address
  • If widowed:
    • death certificate of spouse

If you have any questions or concerns or would like more information, please feel free to contact Agueda Arias at 914-668-8881 ext. 127.